Shady Meadows Farm is a small operation involved in raising registered alpaca, U-Pick/We-Pick Blackberries, and honeybees.
Agritourists are always welcome and we love it when folks stop by for a look. You can feed the alpaca from your hands, walk through the blackberry patch, even don a beekeeper's suit and learn up close. There's a lot to learn in each of these aspects of our farm.
Here is a summary of what is ahead for this year.
- Blackberry picking time!
- Jams, jellies, syrups, and cobblers
- Honey harvest
- Hive inspections
- Cutting out spent canes
- Training new canes onto trellis
- Hive inspections
And on it goes!Blackberries
We grow only Triple Crown! These blackberries
are large, sweet, aromatic, and, yes, thornless. The fruit is firm and glossy black. The pictures in our gallery show the incredible size of berries we produce at Shady Meadows Farm. Our largest single berry (that we found) was 11 grams! Most of the time our average was 8-9 grams in 2017.
We make no claims of being an "organic" operation. Mainly because we don't believe its possible, since there is no way to control what others nearby may spray on their crops.
We describe our farm as "Natural."
- We use no restricted pesticides. We use a true IPM method of controlling pests and diseases because we believe in being proactive as opposed to reactive. Prevention is far less expensive and far safer.
- We use only alpaca manure fertilizer. This stuff is great on anything you want to grow. You should see the results on flower beds! It isn't hot so it can be applied directly to the plants without fear of burning them. It is a very complete feed.
- Even though, technically speaking, the blackberries are self pollinating, we have found that nature's best pollinator, the European honeybee, does a far superior job. The quality of our berries has vastly improved since adding our colonies.
We will again this year be offering jams, jellies, syrups, and cobblers on site.
We still have available on-site for purchase:
*Blackberry jam and Blackberry Jelly
*8oz jar $3.50ea
*16oz jar $12ea
*8.5oz bottle $7ea
Other canned goods may be available as they come into season, so feel free to give us a call!
*Alpaca manure: Alpaca manure is not "hot" and can be applied to any plants directly or you can compost it or make a tea to feed your plants. Manure is available on-site for $10/feed sack volume (not sold by pound).
*While you're here, visit our 15 resident ALPACA and learn about them while you feed them. About half of our herd will eat right out of your hand! Of course all of them are for sale! We offer boarding, making owning alpaca easy!
Shady Meadows Farm/Shady Meadows Alpaca Ranch is located just off of Highway 43 on Pine Road. From the Stone's Corner roundabout, go north (straight thru the next roundabout at Hwy 96) for 11 miles to Pine Road (first road after crossing North Fork Creek) then turn right (east) and go to second farm on the right (south) side.
We accept CASH, and Debit/Credit Cards thru PayPal.